Saturday, September 19, 2009

banana cake with buttercream topping

Banana bread/cake has never failed our palate. I've baked it many times since I was still single many years ago and we always consumed it right away. I've tried a few banana cake recipe and this one's what I liked the best so far. The original recipe was from Lydia Teh.


I already posted a banana bread recipe here; however, I'll post it here again. I like the outcome of my banana cake this time. I divided the batter in 4 2-1/2 x 7 x 3" aluminum loaf pan because I intended to share the other 3 with my friends. It was however right on time when they invited us on an iftar at the park the next day. As I've said, I liked the outcome of my banana cake this time, the color and the sweetnes was just right. Maybe because of the bananas that I used? I used the banana that's in the verge of really getting spoiled. I believe that the best banana for a banana cake is of that kind. Another difference is that I topped or shall I say frosted the top with buttercream frosted (the recipe I got from Confession Nook). Hehehe... I was really happy with the outcome and taste of the buttermilk frosting I made for my chocolate cocoa cake that I baked a few days ago, that's why I decided to try it on my banana cake. Hehehe... The outcome? It was okay... It tasted well with the banana cake.

For the Banana Cake
Ingredients:
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1-1/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas*
1-1/2 cup cake flour, sifted**

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and flour 4 2-1/2 x 7 x 3" aluminum loaf pan.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs and beat well.

Dissolve baking soda in the sour cream, add it into the butter mixture. Beat well.

Stir in mashed bananas and vanilla then fold in cake flour.

Pour batter into the loaf pans and bake for 35 minutes or until done.

For the Buttercream Frosting:
Ingredients:

8 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Procedure:
Whip butter until light and fluffy; add sifted icing sugar little by little until well-incorporated. Beat in the yolk. Add vanilla extract to mix.

• • • • • • •

* The banana that I used was those that's almost in the verge of spoiling.

** To make 1 cup cake flour, in 1 cup measuring cup, place 1 tbsp. cornstarch then fill with all-purpose flour.

0 comments: